How do I install and setup NetZero DSL?
Installing your NetZero DSL is a snap, with our Broadband Installation Kit. You'll get everything you need in the Broadband Installation Kit, including the DSL Modem, cables, phone filters, and a full installation CD. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions, and the software will guide you through several simple steps to configure your computer, and get you connected. No additional tools are required to install NetZero DSL and the simple installation should only take a few minutes.
Install and setup NetZero DSL:
Step 1: Insert the NetZero DSL CD into the CD-ROM drive
Step 2: Install the phone jack filters
Step 3. Connect the DSL modem to your computer
Step 4: Check your connection
Step 5: Verify that your connection is active
Step 6: Check your Service Ready Date
Step 1: Insert the NetZero DSL CD into your CD-ROM drive.
Once you insert the NetZero DSL CD the installation program will launch automatically. If not, manually start the program.
Once you insert the NetZero DSL CD, the installation program will launch automatically (if not, manually start the program by clicking Start and Run and typing d:\nz_dsl_installer.exe). Click Start Now in the NetZero Broadband DSL Guide screen. This program installs the NetZero DSL Connection Center software, and walks you through the process of connecting your DSL modem to the computer. This process is also summarized below in steps 2 - 4.
Step 2: Install the Phone jack filter.
- Locate the phone jack where you want to connect your modem.
- Plug the dual connection phone jack filter into the wall jack (the one with both a Phone and DSL/HPNA port).
- If you have a phone, answering machine, fax machine, satellite TV equipment, or other phone device in this jack location, plug it into the filter port labeled Phone.
- Plug the DSL modem's phone cable into the port labeled DSL.
- Install a phone jack filter for all the other phone devices in your house (such as dial-up modems, fax machines, caller ID devices, and set top boxes). Plug each of these devices into the filter port labeled Phone.
Step 3: Connect the DSL modem to your computer.
First, connect the phone cord from the Phone Line port on your DSL modem to the phone filter jack labeled DSL/HPNA.
Next, connect your DSL modem to your computer. Using the yellow Ethernet cable provided, plug one end into the modem's Local Ethernet port (the one with the yellow border around it), and the other into your computer's Ethernet connection to connect your modem to your computer.
Last, connect the provided AC power cord to the DSL modem, plug it in to a wall socket, and turn the power switch on (if you have a wireless modem).
Please note: If your computer does not have an Ethernet port or an NIC card, you can use a standard USB 2.0 cable to connect your DSL modem to your computer. Just plug the square end into the DSL modem, and the other end into an open USB port on your computer.
Step 4: Check your connection.
With your computer on, verify that the Power and Ethernet indicator lights on the front of the modem are green. If they are not, check all of your modem's cables to make sure they are securely connected.
Note: The Internet or Service indicator light will not turn green until the modem software has been installed and an Internet connection has been established. Click here to learn what the Indicator lights mean.
Step 5: Verify that your connection is active.
The easiest way to tell if you are connected to the Internet is by trying to view a Web page. Just open your browser, and type www.netzero.net. If you are able to view the site and navigate around without any problem you are successfully connected to the Internet through NetZero DSL. However, you can also look at the indicator lights on the modem to see if there is a connection. To understand what the lights on your modem mean, click here.
Another way to check your connection is to right-click on the connection center icon in the system tray and select Check Modem Connection.
If you have trouble viewing Web pages, try to reset your browser settings by following these steps.
Internet Explorer 5.0 or 6.0:
- Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools.
- Select Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, and select Reset all Defaults.
- Click OK.
- Close Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer 7.0:
- Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on Tools and select Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, and click Reset all Defaults.
- Click Reset all Defaults in the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box
- When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close and then click OK.
- Close Internet Explorer.
The changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.
Step 6: Check your Service Ready Date.
When you signed up for NetZero DSL service, you received a confirmation email, which contained your Service Ready Date. This is the date your DSL service would be "turned on." If you received your Broadband installation kit and have set up your computer before this date, you will not be able to connect to the Internet. Please check this date to be sure you aren't trying to use your DSL service before it is turned on.