Error: Winsock 2.0 must be installed
If you're getting an error message saying that Winsock 2.0 must be installed, you are running Windows 95 and must install Microsoft Windows Socket 2.0 in order to run NetZero. You will also want to verify that you are using the latest version of Microsoft Dial-Up Networking.
The following instructions will help guide you through this process. We recommend that you try these steps using an alternate Internet service provider on your computer.
A. Install Windows Socket 2.0
To download Winsock 2.0, click here.
- Click Download Now on the Web page.
- Select Save or Save to Disk.
- Click on the box next to Save in: and change the location to the Desktop.
- Click Save.
Once the file is saved to your desktop, open the file by double-clicking on the W95ws2setup.exe file on your desktop.
B. Update to the Latest Version of Dial-Up Networking
The version of Microsoft Dial-Up Networking that shipped with Windows 95 is not compatible with NetZero. If you have never updated Dial-Up Networking, you must update to the latest version. For detailed instructions, click here.
C. Uninstall and Reinstall NetZero
If you previously installed NetZero, you will need to uninstall and reinstall it after installing Winsock 2.0.
To uninstall NetZero:
- Click on the Windows Start button, point to Settings and select Control Panel.
- Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- Click once on NetZero to highlight it and click on the Add/Remove button.
- Click OK then OK again and close the Control Panel.
- Click on the Windows Start button, point to Programs and select Windows Explorer.
- Double-click the Program Files folder in the left-side window.
- If you see a NetZero folder, highlight it and press the Delete key on your keyboard to remove it.
NOTE: If a NetZero folder does not exist, you can skip to step 12.
- Close Windows Explorer.
- Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Double-click the Dial-Up Networking icon.
- Click once on the NetZero icon to highlight it and press the Delete key on your keyboard to remove it.
- Restart the computer, and then reinstall the latest version of NetZero.