Common Connection Errors / Solutions
Error 630: The port was disconnected due to hardware failure
There may be several causes for this error. Please try the troubleshooting steps below to resolve this issue:
A. Verify modem connections
Please verify that the telephone cord is connected from the wall jack directly into your Macintosh's modem port. If you have other devices connected between the wall jack and the modem (such as fax machines, caller id boxes, or other phones), then these could be interrupting the dial tone. Try disconnecting all other devices - this may resolve the problem. You can then connect the devices to a different wall jack.
B. Check voice mail service
NOTE: Most voice mail services set a stutter tone when mail messages are either waiting to be heard or haven't been cleared yet from the mailbox. This can result in the modem not receiving a dialtone when initially activated.
C. Configure modem .
- Go to the Apple menu, select Control Panels and choose Modem.
- In the Modem window, choose your modem from dropdown menu (Such as Apple Internal 56K Modem.)
- Change the Sound and Dialing preferences as needed.
- Make sure the box next to Ignore dial tone is NOT checked.
- Go to the File menu and select Quit. If you are asked to save your changes, click Yes.
D. Contact modem manufacturer or OEM
If the problem still remains unresolved, please contact your modem manufacturer.