Common Connection Errors / Solutions
Unable to Contact NetZero Server
Unable to connect to the NetZero network
This error can have several causes. The information below should help you to identify and resolve this issue.
Let our new Connection Wizard pinpoint your problem!
The NetZero Connection Wizard is our newest help tool. Download it today to identify and resolve many common issues that may prevent you from successfully connecting to the Internet.
To use the NetZero Connection Wizard, you will need to have a Windows Operating System (other than Windows NT) running on your computer. If you cannot download the NetZero Connection Wizard from your computer, simply download it onto a diskette from any computer with Internet access and then install it on the computer you would like to fix.
Click here to download the Connection Wizard.
A. Change your access number Note: If you are subscribed to NetZero's Toll-Free service please skip to step B.
If you are having trouble connecting to the NetZero service, try changing the access numbers you currently use to connect.
Change access numbers and verify your dialing preferences
Sometimes a bad access number may prevent you from making a successful connection. Pay special attention to the number listed on your NZTV screen during the connection process. If your connection fails after dialing the first access number, try removing that number from your selected list of access numbers and add other numbers that are local to you. Also, verify your dialing preferences.
WARNING: THE USE OF SOME TELEPHONE ACCESS NUMBERS MAY RESULT IN LONG DISTANCE CHARGES. IN SELECTING YOUR ACCESS NUMBER(S), PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH AN ACCESS NUMBER MAY BE IN YOUR AREA CODE OR LOCATED IN YOUR GENERAL GEOGRAPHIC REGION, IT MAY NOT NECESSARILY BE A LOCAL NUMBER FOR YOU. YOU MAY INCUR SUBSTANTIAL TELEPHONE CHARGES IF YOU CHOOSE ACCESS NUMBERS THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY YOUR LOCAL CALLING PLAN. WE URGE YOU TO CHECK WITH YOUR TELEPHONE COMPANY TO FIND OUT WHICH NUMBERS ARE LOCAL FOR YOU BEFORE USING A NUMBER FROM THIS LIST.
To change access numbers and verify your dialing preferences:
- Double-click the NetZero icon.
- Click Settings on the Welcome screen and then click Locations.
- Select your location (e.g. Home) and click Modify.
- On the Set-Up a Dialing Location screen, verify the number of the telephone line connected to your computer. Do not turn off call waiting unless you have it enabled/active on your telephone line.
- Click Continue.
- The next screen allows you to select local access numbers. Check all the local numbers available to you. If you dial 10-digits to reach someone within the same area-code, check the Area Code box for each selected access number. If you dial 11-digits to reach someone within the same area-code, check the Dial 1 and Area Code boxes for each selected access number.
- Click Continue and then click Finish to proceed to the logon screen.
- Retry the NetZero connection.
B. Verify the encryption settings
- Double-click the My Computer icon on your Desktop.
- Double-click the Dial-Up Networking icon and highlight the NetZero icon it.
- Select Properties from the File menu and then click on the Server Types tab.
- Ensure that the option labeled Require encrypted password is NOT checked.
- Click OK and then click OK again.
- Retry the NetZero connection.
C. Verify the modem settings
- Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Modems and click the Properties button.
- Set the speed for your modem from the Maximum Speed, menu. For 14.4 modems use 19200, for 28.8 modems use 38400 and for 56k use 57600.
- Make sure Only connect at this speed is not checked
- Select the Connection tab.
- Under Call Preferences, ensure that the box marked Cancel the call if not connected within is unchecked. Some modems may not allow you to change the call preferences.
- Click OK then click Close to exit.
- Retry your NetZero connection.